Thursday, April 22, 2010

Chapter 7: Catching Up

We have been so busy this week I have barely had any time to write.  I was able to post a few status statements on Facebook, and that was about all:

  • Monday--2200 books catalogued! A school family -- the Chois -- took us out to Korean restaurant -- great food. Then they took us up the mountainside where we saw the bright lights of Chile at night -- all I can say is, "wow!"
  • Wednesday--Our total to the minute -- 3239 books catalogued -- and I just did 159 Hardy Boy mystery books at a rate of about 2 books per minute... (if I'm doing the math right) -- To which a few people offered to come down here and help, thank you, Lyndell and Peggy.
  • Thursday--Today is a day for Chitty-chitty-bang-bang, Harriet the Spy, all the Black Stallion books, and Elsie Dinsmore!
So to catch up...

Last Sunday we went with Becky Patten (Bob was sick) to their church. The whole event reminded me of our church in Lambaré, Paraguay, so I had a great time. After the worship and message, we had snack time outside. Then a group of very gifted youth sang for us in Spanish a worship song (Steve Green's "Lamb of God," I believe) and then a medley of Chilean folk songs. Exceptional harmony!

Then, on the way out the door, someone was drinking mate, which is a very favorite memory from Paraguay and I got all excited. So the hermana was very happy (it seemed) to share with me, and oh, what excellent pleasure (and of course, I burnt my tongue on the bombilla, but it was worth it).  Ginger took a picture of all this, but I don't have it yet.... to come.

Then we had a rotisserie chicken for lunch --another great memory as that is what we always had after lunch on Sundays in Paraguay.  My soul was so full of good memories!

But then, we switched gears in a big way. Becky took us downtown to Santa Lucia, which we only got a glimpse of at dusk, and I believe we are revisiting this coming Saturday, so more about that then... 

How we got there was the Metro -- the train that goes through/around Santiago. Wow, what an impressive means of transportation (this is only my third trip on a subway, so I was quite out of my element--no more Paraguay.  And have I mentioned that the population of Santiago is about the same as all of Paraguay?).  We just zipped through those dark tunnels and arrived to a smooth stop somewhere else underground. And it was all so clean.

Anyway, we did some good souvenir shopping, and then we zipped back to the metro stop near the school. Very convenient, and not very expensive at all.  Just about 30 cents one way, I believe.

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you are both working hard, and playing hard. :) Glad to hear you're getting some time away from the computer.
    Didn't know if mate was the charcoal drink. Now I do:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mate_%28beverage%29
    Thanks for the update. It's good to hear how you're doing.
    Mary Lynn

    ReplyDelete